Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Is That Lady Meditating in the Check-out Aisle?

Reverb Broads prompt for 12/13: What are three things you are better at than most people?
 
Well it sure isn't talking about myself.  But thanks for making this easy.  Yeesh.  It's hard enough to find one thing you do better than most people, but three?  I've been thinking about this all day, while walking my dog, doing a little cross-stitch, and it's not getting easier.  Best I can come up with is something very situation-specific.  Like I am more patient than other shoppers when I'm waiting in line at the grocery store.  There's an ego-builder for you.   Or, I am the best mother for Lauren and Alex.  While very important, it's not like there's a lot of competition in the field either.  And I really loathe comparing parenting styles and/or techniques.  Every child is different, and no one gets his/her child better than the parent.  And when you see that frustrated mom in the department store, just ask yourself, "have I ever had a moment like that?"  If you can answer no, go ahead and judge her, but most of us mortals have done things we aren't proud of.

It's not that I'm unhappy with myself.  Most days, I'm very satisfied with who I am and what I can do.  I have very personal goals, and being better at them than another person isn't really relevant.  I want to improve my meditation, but there's not exactly a meditation Olympic team to try out for.  I'm a very competitive person in some ways, but the thing is I don't enjoy competing.  My husband, who is very competitive and naturally athletic, will tease me and say that I don't enjoy it because I don't win.  And I'm not saying he's wrong, but I don't think that's the whole story.  I'm pretty good at tennis, but I really enjoy hitting the groundstrokes.  That's what is fun for me.  When you play a match, you need to serve and it helps if you can to volley too.  Those aren't my strong skills in tennis, because I don't enjoy practicing them as much.  So if I'm going to play for recreation, I like to just hit balls back and forth and not even bother with scoring (unless I am playing with Jon, who would probably invent a scoring system for just hitting groundstrokes).

Other things I really enjoy?  Reading, but once you are above a 10th grade reading level, what's the point in keeping track?  I used to be pretty good at trivia games, but my memory is going to shit.  I'll know I know the answer, but I also know that the neuron pathway to retrieving that specific information is about a day's journey, so might as well take a guess.  Besides, if I tell you I'm smarter than you, you'll just think I'm an asshole.

So maybe what I'm really good at is just accepting myself.  Or I'm just lazy.  That's pretty likely, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment